Monday, November 28, 2011

Rock and Run, Part 2

Weight: ?? 
Total Miles: 45



Well, it happened. It had to, sooner or later. No matter how I try to fight it, I was bound to get caught up in it at some point.
     I ran my first race on Thanksgiving day. It was a 5k in my hometown of Barre, VT. There was about 100 people there, runners and walkers (no, not walkers from the Walking Dead, just people who walked!). I finished in 36 minutes, 11 seconds. I was really very proud of myself, even though I walked more of the second half than I expected. There were two reasons for that. One- most of the 2nd half was uphill, and it really beat on my legs. Two - I stupidly miscalculated how long 5k was!
    I was thinking 5k was about 2.7 miles. When I realized it was over 3, all of my preset goals for myself went out the window :-( I ran for the entire first mile, then all but about 100 yards of the first half of mile 2. After that, though, the hills took their toll. Still, it was a great feeling getting that first one under my belt. 
    And I want to give a shout out to my brother Ray, and my sister-in-law Ruth. They told me about the race, and really helped me be feel a bit prepared and like I knew what I was doing there. That was no easy task! Another fun fact - I saw an old friend from high school at the race as well. It was the anniversary of her first 5k, which was at this same race last year!
   I realized one very important fact after that race. I am going to have to run outdoors more as I gain distance.  There's a big difference between running on a temperature controlled, level, soft indoor track and running on the hills and footing that go along with road racing. 

That's me on the left, looking much worse off than my running
pals. I especially hate my brother Ray (1437), who basically ran a 5k 
just to warm up for the 5k!

No weight today, since I didn't run this morning. It was a running day, but like above, there are two reasons. One- I still have a MASSIVE charley horse from playing football on Sunday. In one play, I caught not only a TD pass, but a defender's knee coming at full speed right into the middle of my thigh! I was going to try to run anyway, figuring it would hurt but that I probably couldn't make it any worse. However, Ciera decided to be reason #2 when she figured she had slept long enough at 3am this morning. So I got to take her for a drive instead. Oddly, in some ways I do enjoy the quiet times when I am driving with her at night, but lord knows I can't miss too many chances to run! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment